We made our first batch of homemade pasta sauce using fresh San Marzano and Roma tomatoes from our garden. We fell in love with this simple recipe from Marcella Hazan and tweaked it with our own little flourishes. It was delicious — enjoy!
Recipe: Homemade Bolognese Sauce
3 pounds of fresh tomatoes (we used a mix of San Marzano and Roma tomatoes)
5 tablespoons of butter (we used Plugra European butter)
1 medium yellow onion, sliced in quarters
1 pound of ground beef
1 tablespoon of chili flakes
1 sprig of basil
1. Plunge the tomatoes in boiling water for a minute or less. Drain and place in cold ice water bath, skin and cut into coarse pieces.
2. Place tomatoes, butter, onion and chili flakes in a sauce pan and cook uncovered at a slow, steady simmer for 1 hour, or until thickened to your liking.
3. While the sauce is simmering, cook ground beef in a skillet under med-high heat. Drain and set aside.
5. After tomato sauce is thickened to your liking, stir in the ground beef and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
6. Serve with al dente pasta and top with fresh basil.